GSA Partner, the Emirates Diving Association (EDA) in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme - Regional Office of West Asia, is holding the 11th Clean Up Arabia in the UAE on 11 November 2006. The event aims to make the beaches and dive sites in the east and west coasts of the U.A.E. clean again by removing the rubbish that is spoiling them.
Clean Up Arabia brings together people from all walks of life in actions that will not only improve the quality of the dive sites and beaches in the area, but will have a positive impact on the consciousness of the people taking part in maintaining a clean and sound environment by practice and participation.
The quantity and type of garbage collected by individual groups will be recorded and submitted to the International Coastal Cleanup (ICC), which compiles and analyses this information each year from volunteers all over the world. The final information is then used to educate the public, business, industry and government officials about the marine debris problem.
Clean Up Arabia is backed up by the Australian's Clean Up the World campaign, the USA-based International Coastal Cleanup and PADI PROJECT A.W.A.R.E. All these organizers have years of experience around the world, coordinating groups from all walks of life, who will join together for the good of the earth.
The main areas to be covered will be:
1. East Coast (Fujairah & Khorfakkan)-UAE: both underwater with divers and along the shore with volunteers. Supported by Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach resort. (Main Event) including Clean Up Arabia Beach Camp
2. Abu Dhabi-UAE: Organized by EDA Abu Dhabi Committee, both underwater with divers and along the shore with volunteers
3. Ras Al Khaima -UAE: underwater with divers.
4. Dubai: underwater (Wreck diving)
5. Musandam-Oman: both underwater with divers and along the shore with volunteers.
For further information / registration please contact:
Environment & Research Department
Emirates Diving Association
Tel: 04 3939390, Fax: 04 3939391